How to make lipstick matte

Yes, high shine lipsticks were cool once and we all have a stash of colours we've deemed useless now that matte has taken over. 

A few weeks ago when I was having my make-up done at Clinique, they showed me how to give any lipstick a matte finish and I thought this trick was too good not to share. 


1. Gather what you need. Lipstick, a lip brush, translucent powder (or powder foundation in a light colour will do), a large brush and a piece of tissue. 

How to make lipstick matte

Tom Ford lipstick, Tom Ford lip brush, MAC powder foundation and Ecotools brush. 

2. Line your lips. A pencil will give a more precise line, but I'm often feeling lazy so I roughly skim around the edges of my lips with my colour of choice (in this case its a beautiful Tom Ford lipstick) and a Tom Ford lip brush


How to make lipstick matte

3. Fill the rest of your lips in with the lipstick, beginning in the middle and ensuring the colour goes all the way out to the edges. 

How to make lipstick matte

4. Tear the tissue into a piece just big enough to cover your mouth. Peel one layer of the tissue off so it becomes thin and almost see-through. Apply some translucent powder to your brush, and lightly dust it over the back of the tissue. 

How to make lipstick matte

5. Once you peel the tissue away, the glossiness of the lipstick will be gone. See ya later shine! 

I also love this trick because you still feel all of the moisturising benefits of the lipstick without the shine factor. Matte lipsticks can become too chalk-like and cakey in the corners of the lips, but this method creates a more subtle result. 

How to make lipstick matte



More from me:


 
Top