Textured hair is where it's at this summer. Here's how to give your hair a perfectly "undone" curl in no time at all. 


A word before we begin:

Not so long ago I cut my hair shorter, and since I went for the chop I've mastered the art of creating a voluminous head of beachy, textured waves using some tips from my super hair stylist Paloma from Oscar Oscar in Paddington, Sydney. 

One thing I've learned recently is that finding the right hairdresser is the key to amazing hair. I've had my hair cut short before and found it to be incredibly unflattering on my face shape so I let my locks grow and swore I'd never look back – but Paloma changed that completely. I can honestly say this is the best my hair has ever looked and I wish I'd found her sooner. 

Then, there's the colour. Intense balayage (read dip-dyed) hair is over. If you want natural, sun-kissed-looking beachy locks, subtle balayage is the only way forward. My colourist at Oscar Oscar, Michael, has this kind of magic hand that knows exactly where to add a sweep of colour to complement your cut and skin-tone and create the ultimate result.

Before I mastered using a tong to curl my hair I asked Paloma for some tips. Follow this step-by-step guide to create beautiful, beachy waves at home:

1. PREPARE.

Always start with a clean canvas. Shampoo your hair twice, vigorously rubbing the scalp to remove oil from the roots. Apply conditioner to the ends and allow hair to dry. 

Extra tip: spritz Redken's Rootful spray through midlengths and ends to help to add volume and minimise the "slipperiness" of freshly-washed hair. If time's an issue, wash your hair at night, spray this through the ends before going to bed and tong your hair in the morning!


2. TONG & TWIST.

There are two ways to tong your hair: all one way, or alternating the direction in which you're wrapping the hair around the tong from section-to-section. The first method will create a more sleek and glamorous result, while the latter is your go-to for undone, beachy waves. 

Tie all of your hair into a topknot, leaving the bottom section loose. Separate a small section of hair and spray with hairspray. 

Using a 1-inch tong, wrap each section around the tong in the same direction after spraying. Continue wrapping each section the same way for this layer. 

Once complete, let the next layer of hair down from the topknot and tong each section the opposite way to the bottom layer of hair. Repeat, changing directions for each layer until you've done all of your hair, except the fringe.

Extra tips: leave the ends straight for a more modern result. Make sure you're not trying to curl too much hair at once or it won't be as effective.  


Note how I'm wrapping the hair a different way in the bottom section to the next layer of hair. 

3. FRAME THE FACE. 

Leave the front section of your hair and fringe until last. As a general rule, you should always curl the hair away from the face.


4. TURN UP THE TEXTURE. 

Once complete, run your fingers through your hair to separate the curls and create texture. 


Apply a volumising powder to the roots on either side of your part. I like the Shu Uemura one because the brush applicator allows for a more targeted application.

Finally, lightly dust some volumising powder through the ends of your hair and scrunch it through the waves. 


Ta da! Tousled, beachy perfection. 

To extend the lifetime of your wavy locks between washes, use a dry shampoo (my absolute favourite is Kérastase's Powder Bluff). 

Hope you found this helpful! Reading the steps in written form makes it sound more complicated than it is. I promise! 



Thank you to my favourite people at Oscar Oscar for the beautiful hair and expert tips! x


I use: Shu Uemura Volume Maker powder, Kérastase Cristalliste shampoo, Nutritive Masque Nutri-Thermique, Powder Bluff dry shampoo, and Shu Uemura Sheer Lacquer hairspray (all from Oscar Oscar). 




More from me:




 
Top