What to wear to the races

No boring dress or fascinator required.
Every year when the racing seasons come around, my friends and I are in the same predicament  what can I wear that a) doesn't make me look and feel completely ridiculous b) doesn't require wearing something fluffy or feathered on my head and c) still looks polished and sophisticated?

Unless you're gunning for Fashions on the Field, I'm of the belief that the rules were made to be broken. Besides, you rarely get ahead by playing it safe. 

Here are my tips for getting it right:

What to wear to the races

1. THINK OUTSIDE THE SQUARE. 

When choosing an outfit, I try to do things differently and look to the runway for inspiration (relaxed suits and pinstripes, anyone?). Don't limit yourself to dresses. Consider a suit or a skirt and top combination. I go for things I know I'll wear beyond the day.

What to wear to the races

2. DON'T OVER-THINK YOUR ACCESSORIES.

Don't lash out a new clutch and new shoes with matching nail polish so you're tonal head-to-toe. Incorporate your normal bags and shoes into your outfit. It's more understated, and less work for you.

What to wear to the races

3. HEADWEAR. 

I don't do fascinators. Full stop. End of story. But this doesn't mean I'm ever without options. Consider hats, or a headband if you're into that kind of thing.

I wore a straw boater hat (which you can see on my Instagram) to the races on the weekend. It was a multi-purpose investment because I now have one just in time for the Australian summer!

race wear ideas


4. STICK TO THE SEASONS.

The only rule I stick to is lighter colours with straw hats for spring, or darker tones with felt hats for autumn. 

This is mainly for practical purposes. I once wore leather to spring carnival and it wasn't exactly pleasant. 

What are your race wear do's and don'ts? x


RECENTLY:

4 things I can't get enough of right now

This is probably the chicest watch you've ever seen
 
Top