... And I'm not talking the 60's kind. 

I'm talking fashion flares. Think Céline, think Ellery, think super-wide proportions and luxurious fabrics. 

Black pants are kind of like shoes to me – I've managed to successfully convince myself (and my boyfriend) that it's totally necessary to own every slight variation (super straight, relaxed, pinstripe, cropped, wide leg  you get the drift) because I live in them.

That's where flares come in. They're my new favourite shape. 

And if you've put them in a no-go zone because you think they'll be unflattering or hard to pull of, I'm here to change your mind. They're actually the complete opposite when you know how to style them right. 

Here's five reasons to wear flares:



1. THERE ARE LOTS OF VARIATIONS. 

You could go for super skinny jeans with a flare at the bottom (I love these ones by J Brand), or black pants with a wider leg all the way down. There are so many shapes to work with, you just have to try them and find what works for your shape and height. 


2. THEY CAN MAKE YOU LOOK TALLER. 

Exhibit A. As someone pointed out on my Instagram, these make me look 6 ft tall (when I'm actually 5.7 ft, the truth hurts). 

When the legs are super wide like the ones I'm wearing, your heels hide underneath, which gives you a temporary growth spurt. Winning!

3. THEY MAKE A STATEMENT.

There's something sartorially satisfying about slipping into a pair. It instantly elevates your outfit. Trust me, just try it. 


4. THEY MAKE A GREAT LAYERING PIECE. 

I love wearing them with a dress or an oversized slouchy sweater. 

5. THEY TAKE THE PRESSURE OFF THE REST OF YOUR OUTFIT. 

When I wear straight black pants or jeans, I feel like the rest of my outfit needs more work so it's not boring. 

But because flares are the statement piece, you can literally throw them on with a plain tee and look amazing. 









 
Top